Friday 6 November 2009

Grey Cowl-neckline dress

I am addicted to fast sewing projects. They get in the way of the more slow ones, for good and bad...

This dress was a fast project that became a bit more slow than expected... first the sleeve openings became almost ruffled since the material (an organic cotton) is too loosely knitted for the seam (an ordinary twin-needle-seam).

That was such a sad sight that I didn't even think of bringing the camera out... so I ripped the seam (only made one of them) and gave the whole thing a rest for a couple of days.

After deciding to put elastic in the seam I took it up again, only to really really struggle with the seam, twin needles are an excellent tool when they work, but this time it was a nightmare... I had to begin sewing one of the seams over again three times, it kept looking like in the picture, and even broke a twin needle in the process. Not fun! But the sleeve-openings came out ok in the end.

Then I decided that I'll have to dye the dress, as much as I like the colour it is now, the material gets very dark marks if it gets wet. And I'm very good at splashing water on myself by mistake, not good. So it's not quite finished yet.

But other than that, I'm happy with it!



Next on the list is to decide if I want to make something from pattern magic or use one of my vintage patterns... hm...

11 comments:

  1. I ran across your project on Burda. I have a long torso, so I love anything that's tunic-length! Great project, and great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw this project on BurdaStyle. It's absolutely great. I'll have to wait till I get the right fabric for it, but I definitely want to try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, I'm so glad to have found your blog from BurdaStyle. I love all your creations. I'm itching to make this dress. I have the perfect modal jersey for this, I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all! I'm glad you found me here, please let me know if do make this dress or anything else, I'd love to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely gorgeous dress. It suits you well.
    I saw this project on Burdastyle, and i'm gonna make one very soon. Thanks for sharing the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Evyline Alexandra: Thank you so much! I'd be very glad if you post it on Burdastyle if you make one, it's always a joy to see other people's interpretations of my patterns (the best reward for posting them)!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh, I absolutely LOVE this dress :D , great job ! (also considering all the work in it !)

    ReplyDelete
  8. nessie: Thank you! It's actually a very quick project, only about an hour for me, on an ordinary sewing-machine! But I'm glad if it looks like it's a lot of work ;-)!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Apart from the twin-needle madness and re-made sleeve-openings of course (I just realised that I forget about trouble really fast!).

    ReplyDelete
  10. I found this awesome dress of yours on Burdastyle - it's very cute and I'm so excited to try and make this myself! I am somewhat of a beginner when it comes to sewing clothes, but I'll be taking a course for sewing knits soon - when that's finished I will surely try this dress out and post the results on Burda! Thanks so much!! Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  11. http://craftopiaonline.blogspot.com/2010/02/party-dresses-pajama-pants-and.html

    I made this dress and I wanted to thank you for the pattern! It's fantastic. The instructions were easy to follow and the sizing was spot on. I normally wear a 32 and I didn't have to change anything. I made a gray one as well, but the fabric I used on the gray one was a little thicker and the cowl neckline didn't drape as well so I may alter it. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails